Plutoid

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electronic Music collaboration and discussion platform.

5 posters

Moments in music that give you chills?

Waxlimbs
    Waxlimbs
    Admin

Moments in music that give you chills? Empty Moments in music that give you chills?

Post by Waxlimbs Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:17 pm

Share some wicked musical moments that really strike you!

Atoms For Peace doing a live rendition of Cymbal Rush comes to mind for me- particularly toward the climax of the song.

And this performance of ingenue gets me every time I watch it.

(Starts at 0:18:08)
    Tryouts
    Tryouts
    Admin

Moments in music that give you chills? Empty Re: Moments in music that give you chills?

Post by Tryouts Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:04 pm

Great picks! Thom is such a great performer (Flea too).

I have a lot of musical moments that give me chills. Too many to list, but I'll list a couple.

I don't listen to a whole lot of Radiohead, but Everything In Its Right Place is a fantastic song and this live performance where it is paired with Björk's Unravel (also fantastic) gives me chills every single time, particularly in the transition.

Just the straight up stereo studio version of Tomorrow Never Knows by The Beatles.

Something about the sampled vocals and the groovy bassline in this song just gets to me.
    Waxlimbs
    Waxlimbs
    Admin

Moments in music that give you chills? Empty Re: Moments in music that give you chills?

Post by Waxlimbs Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:06 pm

Holy shit I haven't seen that performance of everything in its right place- and I knew he loves Unravel but woahhhh a cover!

The crowd goes fucking nuts when they break into the main tune...

Gonna listen to these other suggestions too!
    Tryouts
    Tryouts
    Admin

Post by Tryouts Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:13 pm

Oh, this too!
    Waxlimbs
    Waxlimbs
    Admin

Post by Waxlimbs Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:28 pm

All of that was awesome. Here's another:

Found it through Aphex Twin; he made a soundcloud post asking for people to comment with awesome finds, and that he'd also comment with a few of his own favourites.

[EDIT] Also this:
    Tryouts
    Tryouts
    Admin

Post by Tryouts Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:46 pm

Both those are great. I especially like the Moby remix.
    Waxlimbs
    Waxlimbs
    Admin

Post by Waxlimbs Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:58 am

Tryouts wrote:Both those are great. I especially like the Moby remix.

It's kind of crazy, the original Krakpot by Plastikman is hardly the same. So very minimal in comparison.
    Waxlimbs
    Waxlimbs
    Admin

Post by Waxlimbs Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:17 am

Here's one: Floating Heads by Sister Crayon.

At first this didn't phase me, but over time I found the percussive rhodes to be really nice.
    Bicyclops
    Bicyclops

Post by Bicyclops Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:56 pm

Hey all.

This forum is a really great idea.

You guys beat me to the Radiohead vids, but I have to plug Jon Hopkins here. Maybe I'm preaching to the choir, but if you haven't heard Immunity it's an unbelievable album. When King Creosote's vocals enter on the title track it's something really special:

Really just pick any song from the album:

Also, I don't typically go to Squarepusher for this kind of thing, but his catalogue has some really beautiful moments of clarity:

Anyone know how he got that key sound? I adore it.
    Waxlimbs
    Waxlimbs
    Admin

Post by Waxlimbs Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:28 pm

Nice call on Jon Hopkins, Immunity is incredible. Have you heard Insides by him? It's a bit more disparate but quite good.

Welcome to the forum! Glad you think it's a good idea, I hope we can establish a growing group of people. Smile

On the Squarepusher note, I really think Planetarium achieves this a bit! Also in that track, sounds a bit like his Jupiter perhaps.

And if you're into King Creosote, I've been craving someone to talk to about his collaboration record with Jon Hopkins, Diamond Mine.
    My favourite track:
    Bicyclops
    Bicyclops

Post by Bicyclops Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:00 pm

Hey, thanks for the warm welcome!

Oh yeah, I've collected all of Jon Hopkins stuff. Hard to believe he was the age I am now when he released Opalescent. Something to work towards!

And I really enjoyed Diamond Mine. I'd love to learn more about the actual mechanics of a collaboration like that. Whether it was a Postal Service type back and forth thing that just evolves, or whether they sat down and actually talked about what direction they wanted the songs to go.

I think my favourite track might be Bats in the Attic. I love the fact that it's built on a terrible cell phone recording:

And speaking of excellent collaborations; this one always does it for me:

Waxlimbs
    Waxlimbs
    Admin

Post by Waxlimbs Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:39 pm

Oh jeez we have the same tastes!
    That's my favourite track off II.
    Waxlimbs
    Waxlimbs
    Admin

Post by Waxlimbs Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:06 pm

I know people are pretty divided about Death grips usually, but this song really stuck me hard.

Everything about this feels visceral as hell.
    Bicyclops
    Bicyclops

Post by Bicyclops Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:31 pm

Waxlimbs wrote:Oh jeez we have the same tastes!
    That's my favourite track off II.

It's uncanny! I think I've found the right place (Y)

And yeah, I think visceral is the right word to describe them. I haven't delved too much into their stuff, but I'm really impressed by that track. Is there a particular album you recommend starting with? I've only heard bits and pieces.

There's this band from Edmonton that I think is criminally underrated. They're called Faunts, and they completely blew my mind as a kid who only listened to Dave Matthews Band.
    It's hard to get the effect on youtube, but listen to how the first track flows into the second one:

Waxlimbs
    Waxlimbs
    Admin

Post by Waxlimbs Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:06 pm

That's sweet! Reminds me a lot of NIN's Ghosts album.
    For Death Grips, I'm not sure. Being less of a hiphop fan, I find Jenny Death to be my favourite, but there are moments on The Money Store that really blow me away.
    Animal Party
    Animal Party

Post by Animal Party Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:34 pm

THIS!! cat Actually too much.
    Waxlimbs
    Waxlimbs
    Admin

Post by Waxlimbs Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:52 pm

That Trentemoller track is awesome, deffo going to listen to them more!

Here's a track from Japan. I bought their Tin Drum album today and rediscovered my love for this song:
    CJ Austin
    CJ Austin

Post by CJ Austin Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:03 pm

this performance gets me

Tryouts
    Tryouts
    Admin

Post by Tryouts Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:24 am

This song/performance is pretty cool.
    Waxlimbs
    Waxlimbs
    Admin

Post by Waxlimbs Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:46 pm

That video is incredible! Love the soft distortion on his guitar signal. Really brings out the colour of the instrument.
    Tryouts
    Tryouts
    Admin

Post by Tryouts Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:36 am

Waxlimbs
    Waxlimbs
    Admin

Post by Waxlimbs Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:54 pm

Tryouts wrote:

This song is so dark, I love it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 8:37 pm